The community can weigh in Tuesday evening at a public hearing before the Montgomery County Council on a proposal that would hike Ride On bus fares. The proposal also calls for charging for parking in Bethesda and Silver Spring on Saturdays and also raising parking fees in Bethesda, Silver Spring and Wheaton.
The proposal, introduced by County Executive Isiah Leggett (D) in March as a part of his recommended operating budget, includes:
- Hiking the cost of the monthly Ride On bus pass from $40 to $45
- Raising the Ride On cash fare from $1.70 to $2 and the SmarTrip fare from $1.50 to $1.60
- In the Bethesda parking lot district, hiking long-term parking rates from 75 cents an hour to 85 cents an hour and bumping the cost of a monthly pass from $140 to $160, effective July 1
- Charging Bethesda parkers on Saturdays, effective October 1
- In the Silver Spring parking lot district, hiking the long-term parking rate from 60 cents an hour to 70 cents an hour, and raising the cost of a monthly pass from $113 to $132, effective July 1
- In Silver Spring, charging parkers on Saturdays and until 7 p.m. Monday through Saturday, effective October 1
- In the Wheaton parking lot district, charging parkers until 10 p.m. in lots and on-street metered spaces, effective July 1
Other changes that have not been formally proposed but may be on the table for public comment include charging Silver Spring parkers until 10 p.m. and raising the short and long-term parking rates in the Wheaton parking lot district from 50 cents an hour to 60 cents an hour, along with hiking a monthly pass in the Wheaton PLD from $95 to $113.
For a full list of proposed changes, download the council packet.
It's not the first time Leggett has proposed raising parking lot district parking rates and charging for Saturday parking. Last year, a
A worksession on the proposal is tentatively scheduled at the Montgomery County Council’s Transportation, Infrastructure, Energy and Environment committee for April 30. The full council is set to take action on the operating budget, including the proposed parking fee and Ride On fare hikes, in May.
Tuesday’s public hearing is set for 7:30 p.m. in the County Council Hearing Room at 100 Maryland Avenue in Rockville. To testify, call 240-777-7803.
What do you think about Leggett’s proposal to raise Ride On bus fares and increase parking fees in Bethesda, Silver Spring and Wheaton? Tell us in the comments.