Spring is a popular time of year to start cleaning, not only in our homes and yard, but throughout the media we're hearing a lot about spring cleanses or "eating clean." There is a lot of conflicting information out there about juice cleanses, food-based cleanses and much more. I'm here to help you understand this information in a more clear, concise manner!
In our society, people aren't slowing down to cleanse as a 'culture,' making it difficult for people to know when and where to start.
In many cultures throughout the world, cleansing or detoxing is done in spring and fall to prepare the body for slowing down, clearing the mind and gaining perspective for the next season of life. While I believe this is important in many cultures, in the US our busy lives do not always dictate the ability to properly cleanse.
Throw in 'celebrity' cleanses that are not truly giving the liver & kidneys the down time they need, or trying a "cleanse-in-a-box" and consumers are purchasing cleanses with no mindfulness to their own eating habits. Going this route sets you up for failure and even worse, bathroom accidents during the work day!
The other missing piece is having the support of a professional.
Trying to do a juice cleanse for just a few days with some friends will not give you the nutritional support you need, nor the time your body needs to detox. Working with a nutrition counselor who offers a complete program to guide you, improves your success rate in order to reach your own health goals. Cleansing with a group of people in the same program also ensures success as you work together, ask questions, make tweaks to your diet as needed and truly support each other along the way.
The "Do's" of a successful spring cleanse includes:
- Work with a professional who has lead a cleanse before and ask if they offer a support group for their cleanse (email groups or in-person work best)
- Adopt a timeframe that gives your body the ability to cleanse (14 - 21 days)
- With a professional to guide you, learn what whole foods that will nourish the body and keep it strong during the cleanse
- Find easy ways to add fun, quick, healthy options like Green Smoothies
- Take time for guilt-free, self care to aid in flushing the body of toxins
- Mindfully add in light exercise and be careful not to push yourself too hard (slowing down is key)
- Add herbal support or detox teas to aid in the cleansing process
- Journal, breathe and take time to be still on each day of the cleanse
- Adopt mindful eating techniques during the cleanse to help the digestive tract to work less during the cleanse
Do you want to cleanse, but you are not sure where to begin?
The next Spring Cleanse Teleclass kicks off April 23rd at 8 pm EST. Happy Spring Cleaning!
Leslie Edsall is a nutrition, yoga and health education expert who offers nutrition programs to clients, leads yoga classes in the local community and offers nutrition workshops throughout Montgomery County. To learn more about Leslie or to schedule a consultation: www.TrifectaWellness.com