Save the Date for 2013 Polar Bear Plunge
The 17th annual plunge where participants run into the chilly Chesapeake Bay will take place on Jan. 26, 2013, at Sandy Point State Park.
Before you know it, 2013 will be here and so will the annual Maryland State Police (MSP) Polar Bear Plunge. Each year, thousands take a quick dip in the Chesapeake Bay to raise funds for Special Olympics Maryland.
The Plungefest, which is open to the public, is set for Jan. 26, 2013, at Sandy Point State Park. Frigid Friday for participating schools will take place the day before the Plungefest.
To participate in the plunge, you must collect a minimum of $50 in pledges—and if you're younger than 18, you must have a parent or guardian's written consent.
It's still early but more than $200,000 has already been raised for Special Olympics Maryland to date, according to the event's website that also has a running countdown until the event.
See past stories:
- Montessori School Plungers Get Top Honors
- County Schools Raised Almost $150K in Polar Bear Plunge
- YOUR PHOTOS: Share the Polar Plunge Experience
- PHOTOS: Students Freeze in Frigid Friday Plunge
- Arnold Woman Plunges in Memory of Husband
- Photo Gallery: Thousands Take the 2011 Polar Bear Plunge
- 3, 2, 1, PLUNGE!
- Students Take the Frigid Friday Plunge